This photo represents my lightness of being. When I took it, I was in Manali, India…reclining on a large boulder while my friends rock hopped up the creek.
I gazed up at the blue sky and the clouds, listening to the water gush and the wind gently blow through the trees.
I hadn’t done this in a long time.
Then, two sweet butterflies landed on my knee. Their light blue wings and lightness of being reminded me of my own.
Lightness is…living in and with more radiance, vibrance, luminosity, freedom, spaciousness, fluidity and grace.
In the past few years, I’ve unloaded a lot of “weight” from my being.
- The heaviness that accompanies feelings of control, worry, obsessiveness and anxiety.
- The need to know HOW everything will happen or work out.
- The need to feel like I really should take action even when my inner being asks for rest and space.
- Mistrust in my abilities to create and cultivate the life I want to live and the person I want to be.
- Excuses for not moving towards greatness and expansion. Excuses for not really going for what I want. Like I don’t have what it takes. I don’t have enough money, time, talent. Silly stories like these.
Upon returning from my journeys in India I noticed on a few occasions the feelings of heaviness and pressure (remnants of the old me) start to creep back in. In one moment, heaviness would suddenly permeate my being. It was suffocating and dreary.
After the second or third time I felt this, it was clear to me that these were parts of my old ways. I had hoisted them on my back and drug them around for much of my life. They were waiting for me when I returned home.
But once I identified them, they almost immediately lightened. I internally “told” them they don’t belong here anymore. And then, disappeared.
So this summer, I am declaring it the Summer of Lightness.
While I always keep my feet rooted and connected to the earth, grounded in my truth and at one with my essence of “home”, I am now being more light about my life. I am now calling in more of the light.
The truth is, the light is always shining brightly towards us, in us and as us. We just need to be in the receptive mode for it. To own it and cherish it. Embody it. Every day.
So in the spirit of calling in more lightness, I offer you a 5 step process to create the summer of your dreams. A luminous, radiant, vibrant, freeing, spacious, fluid and graceful summer.
How to Create the Summer of Your Dreams
- Write your summer story. As if it has already happened. My dear friend Rachel gave me this idea at one of her recent Chinese New Year celebrations. She had us write our desires and dreams as if we were talking about them from the future, expressing our gratitude and sharing with one another our elation and joy with what had unfolded. This is super fun. I highly recommend sharing stories with a girlfriend or your sweetie or child. Have them do the same exercise and share with you.
- Visualize it and feel it. Let go of the need to know how it will work or happen. How does it feel? Visualize yourself reveling in it. Bathing in the bliss of what you desire. Every morning, visualize and feel it. Then, let it go.
- Take a load off. Put your feet up. Literally. I’ve been setting aside 30 minutes a day to read my book outside. No matter how many tasks I have on my list. No matter how many errands I have to run or calls I have to make, I take this time. I prioritize this time.
- Say “no” more often. With no apologies or excuses. Just say “no thank you.” Less is more. Your time is precious. Create more space in your life by discerning what fills you up and nourishes you, and what drains and depletes you. Say “no” to the latter.
- Take action when the inspiration comes. Don’t wait. If it lights you up, do it. Make the call. Approach the person. Take a chance and be brave. This is your inner voice talking to you! It’s time to listen.
Most of all, enjoy the journey. Don’t take your life so seriously. See it as a fun adventure or game. Notice when your old ways of drama creating, victimhood, blame, shame, guilt, anxiety, etc. try to creep in. Notice and identify and then go do something fun to shake up that energy. Fun is the key. Make it fun.
And if any or all of the above steps doesn’t feel light or luminous to you, then by golly don’t do them!
I love you.